Most people think of swinging a hammer when they think about volunteering for Habitat. Due to the tremendous amount of planning and management required to build just one home, we have a constant need for committee members and volunteers to help with various other tasks. Many of our younger volunteers (under the age of 16) and families who'd like to volunteer together opt to help in our ReStore or Office.
Listed below are some of the non-construction volunteer opportunities. You don't need to be an expert in any of these fields to help out. There are many tasks that require only a willingness to learn and work with others.
Website Maintenance -
- Help keep our website updated. Post short articles and photos through a user-friendly website editor. No experience necessary.
Front Desk Associate -
- Answer the phone. Welcome guests and potential homeowners to Habitat. Complete filing, copying, and mail duties.
Grant Researcher -
- Much of our work is supported by grants. Work from our office or from home to help research new grant opportunities or pull together information for a grant proposal.
Public Speaker -
- Help spread the word about Sussex County Habitat at local organizations, churches, etc. A slideshow presentation is available for use - all you need to bring is your enthusiasm!
Event Planner -
- Help plan special events like our annual Anniversary Party, Golf Outing, Silent Auction, Wine Tasting, and other Build Celebrations!
- Volunteers needed to write articles for use on our website, in press releases, newsletters, and other public relations documents. Commitment can be a block of time each week or an article a month.
- Take pictures of SCHFH volunteers building homes, at special events, or other activities for use on SCHFH website, Facebook and Twitter. Time commitment can vary but you must use your own camera and have the ability to download and e-mail pictures to SCHFH or provide pictures on a flash drive.
Table Volunteers for Community Events or Festivals -
- Provide information about SCHFH homeownership, volunteer, and donor opportunities at a variety of community events. Past events have included: Seaford River Fest, Home Expo, Apple Scrapple Festival, and Bethany Beach Jazz Funeral.
Non-construction Work on the Build Sites
Site Hosts -
- Site Hosts are crucial to helping the volunteer work day go smoothly. They direct volunteers to sign in when they arrive on site, set up refreshments, help volunteers find tasks throughout the day. Both Wednesday and Saturday hospitality help is needed, especially on Saturdays.
- Put your green thumb to work beautifying a Habitat home site!
- We often need expertise and advice from an architect when we need to make changes to our established home floor plans.
ReStore Donations Vehicle Driver -
- The ReStore needs volunteers to drive our donations pick-up vehicle one or two days a week usually for 2-4 hours. Sometimes you will need to assist in loading donated materials into the donations vehicle, so the ability to safely lift 50 lbs is desired.
ReStore In-store Volunteer -
- The ReStore is always looking for volunteers to work in the store. Check the ReStore page on this site for more information.