Non-Construction Volunteer Opportunities
Sussex County Habitat volunteers do more than build houses! Volunteers are needed behind the scenes to help us plan and manage a variety of projects in the office and throughout the community. Here are some of the ways to help us carry out our mission without wearing a hard hat.
Serve on a Committee: Committee members are essential to Sussex Habitat’s growth and sustainability. We welcome your expertise, connections, and passion on one of the committees that plan and maintain our programs.
- Family Empowerment – Mentors serve as liaisons between Habitat and the partner family, guiding families as they meet the requirements for future homeownership. Mentors provide assistance and promote independence in problem solving and decision-making, and serve as listeners and educators for the partner family. For information about how to help or join this committee, contact our Director of Family Empowerment at email@example.com.
- Resource Development – This committee works with the Resource Development Director to guide Sussex Habitat’s development program. The committee focuses on the financial elements necessary to carry out the affiliate’s mission and assists in raising necessary funds. For more information, contact our Director of Development and Advocacy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Finance – Committee members oversee and monitor Sussex County Habitat’s financial position, and work to ensure the long-term fiscal health of the affiliate.
Serve Morning Refreshments or Lunch on a Construction Site: On Tuesday through Saturdays, beginning at 8:45 am, refreshment volunteers can bring and serve coffee, tea, muffins, donuts, or bagels as construction volunteers are checking in and preparing for the build day. At noon, volunteers can bring and serve sandwiches, salads, soup and hot/ cold drinks. This is a great opportunity for youth groups, churches, or volunteers who prefer not to swing a hammer. To set up a time to help with hospitality, please email email@example.com.
Office/Administrative: Front desk volunteers welcome guests, answer phones, file, copy, and assist staff with projects.
- Grant Researcher – Much of our work at Habitat is supported by grants. Work from our Georgetown office or from home to help research new grant opportunities or pull together information for grant proposals.
- Public Speaker/Advocate – Help spread the word about Sussex County Habitat at local organizations, churches, etc. A slideshow presentation is available for your use – all you need to bring is your enthusiasm.
- Event Planner – Help plan special events like our annual Golf Outing, home dedications, and other special events.
- Writer – Volunteers can write articles for our website, press releases, newsletters, and other public relations pieces. Commitment can be a block of time each week or an article a month.
- Photographer – Visit our sites and document the incredible work being done by our volunteers, partner families, and staff. Or, take pictures at special events for use on our website and social media feeds. Time commitment can vary, but you must use your own camera and have the ability to download/email photos or provide them on a flash drive.
- Table/Booth Volunteer – Provide information about Sussex County Habitat homeownership and volunteer/donor opportunities at community events (i.e. Seaford River Fest, Home Expo, Bethany Beach Jazz Funeral).