Our Women Build Program
- Habitat for Humanity’s National Women Build Program recruits, educates and inspires women to build—and advocate for—simple, decent, and affordable housing.
- As a woman, you do have the power to impact the global housing crisis starting right in your own local community.
- Women Build is about empowering Women, not excluding Men. Besides, everyone knows real men do wear pink!
- The program continues to grow each year, empowering women everywhere to build stability and self-reliance through shelter.
- Dedicated volunteers donate time to Women Build committees such as Fundraising and Media Relations, to help spread the message of Women Build and to raise funds for the annual Women Build homes.
- In 2016, 300 affiliates participated during National Women Build Week - April 30th through May 7th - and 17,000 women volunteered.
- In the previous eight years, a total of 80,000 women hailing from all 50 states have participated in Women Build events.
- The idea is that they will continue to return to the annual Women Build events and volunteer more regularly as they are able.
- Even if you missed this year's build week, you can still join us for free How-to Clinics presented by Lowe's and you are welcome to volunteer with us anytime.
Join us for Habitat for Humanity National Women Build Week, May 6-14, 2017!
Habitat for Humanity’s National Women Build Week is an annual weeklong event that celebrates women and their passion and drive to improve lives and communities. It invites women to devote at least one day to help families build strength, stability and independence through housing. This year marks the 10th Annual Women Build Week at Sussex County Habitat for Humanity. Join us on the build site and work alongside women, men, and future homeowners to help build decent and affordable housing.
Who Can Build?
- Women Build activities are open to women and men ages 16 and over.
- This is a great opportunity for mothers and daughters, sisters, girlfriends, and husbands and wives to work side by side.
- You do not need construction experience to make a difference! Our build sites are user-friendly and led by professionals that patiently train and guide volunteers through all phases of construction. You will come away from your build experience feeling empowered with new skills – and knowing you brought a Habitat partner family one step closer to achieving their dream of home ownership.
When Can I Build?
Saturday, May 13 has been scheduled for individual women builders:
Build days run from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. There are two steps to sign up:
- Visit www.sussexcountyhabitat.org and click on the blue “Volunteer” button to complete and submit a Habitat volunteer registration form.
- Following registration, go to the website “Calendar” tab and search for the Women Build dates in May. Schedule your day by clicking the Sign up Now link on your date of choice.
How else can I support National Women Build Week?
Whether you volunteer on the job site or not, donating to our Women Build program is another great way to support our mission of building homes, communities and hope. What better way to honor the women that have empowered you?
You can make your donation online by CLICKING HERE or mail a check to our office at PO Box 759, Georgetown, DE 19947
*Checks should be made out to Sussex County Habitat for Humanity; please write “Women Build” in the memo line.